Out & About is an innovative, activity-packed textbook gets beginning learners of English on their feet and speaking the language from day one! Addressing SCANS competencies and CASAS requirements, Out & About provides a language syllabus for adult students of all ages. Through it’s dynamic, student-centered approach, students will:
- learn to communicate in everyday situations; from the classroom to the doctor’s office;
- master useful vocabulary related to everyday topics, including housing, clothing, and shopping;
- acquire important life skills through practical, hands-on activities related to reading maps, making appointments, and talking on the phone;
- build valuable study skills and critical thinking skills;
- gain independence and confidence!
Each unit provides a well-defined series of picture-based vocabulary activities followed by contextualized, multi-skill practice activities. Key language and vocabulary are recycled and reinforced in creative and stimulating ways. Out & About celebrates the diversity of our students in the classroom and the world we live in. Every effort has been made to avoid stereotypes. In doing so, Out & About features people of various ethnic backgrounds, women in traditionally male occupations, single-parent families, and same-sex couples. Students will also learn language for expressing food restrictions determined by religious custom or cultural preference.